View more

Latest News

Abbey Booklets on sale

A range of booklets about Tewkesbury Abbey are now on sale in the Abbey Shop. Buy any two of the...
Read more

Tewkesbury in Bloom

This is our Coronet. Come and see the fantastic display put on by Tewkesbury in Bloom.
Read more

Christmas Card

The Abbey Christmas Card is now available from the shop. £3.99 for a pack of 5 cards The message...
Read more

View more

Today's Events

Morning Prayer


Start Time : 08:30:00


End Time: 09:00:00


Read more

Holy Communion

There is a service of Holy Communion every day in the Abbey


Start Time : 10:30:00


End Time: 11:00:00


Read more

Choral Evensong

The Benedictine monks, who worshipped in this church for many years before the Reformation, prayed...


Start Time : 17:30:00


End Time: 18:00:00


Read more

View more

Prayer Tree

A Prayer for

 

Please pray for our friend who is visiting her family in South Africa, before facing cancer treatment for a second time. She is a very special friend and desperately needs your prayers.

 

Posted by Ann at 12:12 on 00/00/0000

the rear of the Milton OrganThe history of this instrument is a long and fascinating one.

 

In 1631, Robert Dallam built a new organ for Magdalen College, Oxford, where it was erected in an 'organ house' opening on to the south side of the chapel. In 1654 it was moved to Hampton Court Palace, where the poet John Milton is reputed to have played it. The instrument was returned to Magdalen in 1660 and re-erected the following year. The organ was substantially remodelled by Renatus Harris in 1690.

 

In 1736 the organ was sold to Tewkesbury Abbey and later placed on a special stone screen constructed on the site of the medieval pulpitum. A Swell Organ was added by John Holland in 1796. Major rebuilds followed - by 'Father' Willis in 1848 and J.W. Walker in 1948 (when the Echo and Solo departments were added and a detached five-manual console was installed).

 

In 1997 the Milton Organ was rebuilt and reconstructed by Kenneth Jones and Associates of Bray as a four-manual instrument with 68 speaking stops and 4611 pipes. The lower three keyboards have mechanical action, whilst the Solo and Apse divisions have electro-pneumatic action.

 

The inaugural recital was given in May 1997 by Nicolas Kynaston, who also acted as organ consultant.